raoul's blog

First Impressions of the Nokia N900

A few weeks ago I finally bought myself a Nokia N900. I saw it a while ago in the news, and as soon as I heard that there was going to be a phone with a proper Linux distribution (as opposed to Android which is basically Google's JVM sitting sort-of directly on the kernel), I wanted to get that phone. Not only that, but the phone's features were also pretty darn convincing.

For those who don't know know the phone's specs, here's a brief run-down:

Security: Windows vs Linux

This evening I was thinking about the various security measures put in place at work. Although I use Kubuntu on my desktop, our network is a Windows/ActiveDirectory network.

The main thing I was thinking about was the password policy. ActiveDirectory has been set up to force a password change every 30 days. Of course this means fun for me once a month, since I don't log in via ActiveDirectory, and I only realise that my password has expired because I can no longer log into the bug tracker and I haven't had any new e-mails for two days.

Using a Script to Simulate a Serial Device for VirtualBox

Recently I needed to simulate a serial device (a GPS, to be precise) for a Windows application I'm modifying for a client.

I don't use Windows on a regular basis, but I do have a license for it, and an original Windows XP CD from back in the day, so I loaded Windows in a VirtualBox virtual machine for the odd occasion I might need Windows, like when I build the Windows version of OpenLP 2.0.

TortoiseBZR-Style Right-Click Menus in KDE

I think most folks are probably well aware of the Windows Subversion client, TortoiseSVN. It has been around for a number of years, and is easily one of the most handy version control clients on any platform.

Recently, I have been wanting to be able to do the same thing in Linux. Simply right-click and update. Sure I can use the command line, and sure I could even use Bazaar Explorer, but I don't always have a terminal open, and Bazaar Explorer doesn't work with files as much as workflow, and that doesn't always fly.

Bazaar Branching & Merging on Subversion Repositories

In my last post, I talked about using Bazaar on Subversion repositories. Soon afterward, David Rubin asked me in IRC if I can do the standard branching and merging on a Bazaar working copy of a Subversion repository, and how easy it is.

Using Bazaar on Subversion Repositories

Soon after I started developing version 2.0 of OpenLP, we moved OpenLP over to Launchpad.net and to using Bazaar for our version control. Over the last (nearly) 2 years of using Bazaar, I've really come to enjoy working with it, and the workflow that the Bazaar integration in Launchpad offers.

Lucid LoCo - A Drupal Theme for Ubuntu LoCo's

After the Ubuntu-ZA site went down, David Rubin wanted to organise to have the site redone. As a long-time helper with the site, he asked me what my thoughts were, and we agreed that a wiki was possibly not such a great idea, especially when the Ubuntu wiki contains a lot of helpful information already, and our wiki was mostly being used for news and static content. We thought that it was possibly duplicating content from the Ubuntu wiki, and therefore there wasn't much use in making the site a wiki.

Project Statuses

I'm not an avid blogger, but I've been particularly quiet on this blog for a while now. This is due in part, I think, to the amount of project work I do, and the fact that I have a "little person" at home, and he takes quite a lot of time I'd probably be spent programming and blogging away from me.


OpenLP is a cross-platform lyrics projection system for churches.

OpenLP 2.0 Alpha 1 released!

It is with great pleasure that I announce the first alpha version of OpenLP 2.0! We've been working on this for a long time (since September 2008 if I have my dates correct) and decided to give everyone a taste of what we've been working on.

Read more about the release at http://openlp.org/en/users/raoul/blog/2010-03-28-openlp_20_alpha_1_released.html

Database-configured Theming in Pylons

Yesterday I looked at very simple theming in Pylons, and mentioned that I'd prefer loading the current theme from the database rather than the configuration file. So this evening I decided to see if I could achieve that.